Any online business owner who has ever run an email campaign would know that email marketing is an effective marketing tool. The best thing about this method is the ability to measure everything about the campaign. The most popular metrics for any campaign includes the delivery rate, open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate.
These metrics allow assessing the overall success of any marketing campaign. However, there is one metric that marketers often ignore though it measures the very first step of your email marketing campaign. This is essentially the email address validity and its accuracy decide the performance of your campaign.
This metric is powerful enough to ruin the entire campaign or take the results to new heights. In this article, we explore in detail what email verification is and why it is so important. We also discuss how email verifiers work to improve the results of your email marketing campaigns.
What is Email Verification?
Imagine you register with an amazing email service provider, prepare for the launch of your first email marketing campaign, upload your email list and then suddenly notice that your progress is blocked. You are asked to verify your email address list. You might not have considered that the email addresses you collected contained incorrect, temporary, non-existent and fictitious accounts which could impact your campaign to a great extent.
The last thing you would want to do is risk your messages getting rejected or sent to spam. Just because you got a subscriber does not mean the account is real or that a typo did not occur. This is where email verification comes into play.
An essential process for companies running an email marketing campaign, Email Verification is the method of ensuring that the email addresses on the list are valid and deliverable. The process involves an analysis of each email address on the list to determine that they are tied to the inbox. In other words, this method makes sure that the messages you send have somewhere to go.
Most email verification services are nowadays available online to be accessible anytime, anywhere from any device. These online tools allow marketers to verify bulk email addresses at once. The best example of a modern, feature-rich, affordable email verification service is eMailVerifier.com which allows users to verify single emails and email lists using a sophisticated algorithm to ensure that your email sending reputation remains at the highest level.
How Email Verification Works?
Though many people know about email verification and even used it, not all of us clearly understand the exact process. Let us look at the main email verification steps:
1. Syntax Check – The first step of email verification, Syntax Check allows checking whether the email address is spelled accurately without any commas, spaces and contains dots, domain extensions and @s in the right place.
2. Domain Check – The next step in an email verification process is Domain Check that helps you make sure the domain on which the email address is hosted actually exists, registered and working.
3. Role-Based Detection – This step detects email addresses of role-based accounts like info, sales, postmaster, admin, etc. sending emails to which can impact your deliverability negatively and increase the risks of account suspension.
4. Disposable Email Detection – Disposable or throwaway email addresses are detected in this step and processed accordingly. Such emails are generally used to bypass signup and login forms asking for a valid email address.
5. Spam Trap Detection – This step detects spam seeds, honeypots, BOTs, blacklisted and bogus email addresses by comparing the entries in the list against the known domains and addresses typically used for trapping spammers.
6. Email Ping – The most sophisticated step in the process, Email Ping involves a technical method of pinging the email address with EHLO message and receiving the mail server response. If the response is received, it can be confirmed that the email address is valid and actually existent on the server.
Why is Email Verification Important?
Most websites include forms asking customers to enter their details like an email address. When customers fill such forms, they are likely to enter an incorrect email address, whether intentionally or by mistake. Such incorrect emails added to your list will be undeliverable. When you send email messages to such addresses, the bounce-back ratio will increase to a great extent, impacting your mail server reputation negatively.
Metrics like undelivered messages, spam complaints and unsubscribes are monitored continuously by AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and other email service providers. If you get a high number for these, they are likely to blacklist your IP address. They may suspend your account to maintain their reputation and deliverability rates. If too many emails bounce back, it can hurt your deliverability and even valid contacts may not hear from you.
A high bounce rate can also blur your campaign metrics and make it difficult for you to understand what works for the valid email addresses on your list. This means that identification and removal of incorrect email addresses is important when you run a bulk email marketing campaign like sales emails or newsletters.
Email Verification makes sure that your list of email addresses is clean and thoroughly valid, helping you minimize bounce-backs to save your valuable time, effort and money and most importantly, your reputation. Validating emails also helps maximize the deliverability and efficiency of your marketing campaign by separating low-quality contacts from high-valued ones. With email verification, you can get peace of mind knowing that every message you send goes to real humans. By verifying your email lists and ensuring you deliver messages to only working email addresses, you improve many parameters for your email marketing campaign, thereby boosting your technical performance and business results.